Monday, November 27, 2006

Web 3.0 ;-)

For those who are still struggling to understand web 2.0, I have good and bad news for you. the good news is that web 2.0 is history, the bad news is that web 3.0 is here :-)

Web 2.0, which describes the ability to seamlessly connect applications (like geographic mapping) and services (like photo-sharing) over the Internet, has in recent months become the focus of dot-com-style hype in Silicon Valley. But commercial interest in Web 3.0 — or the “semantic Web,” for the idea of adding meaning — is only now emerging.

The classic example of the Web 2.0 era is the “mash-up” — for example, connecting a rental-housing Web site with Google Maps to create a new, more useful service that automatically shows the location of each rental listing.

In contrast, the Holy Grail for developers of the semantic Web is to build a system that can give a reasonable and complete response to a simple question like: “I’m looking for a warm place to vacation and I have a budget of $3,000. Oh, and I have an 11-year-old child.”
Source as reported by "Welcome to web 3.0"

I hear that SAP executives,meeting with analysts this week in Las Vegas, have started using the term "enterprise 3.0" to describe this next wave of business applications. I’ll stick with Web 3.0 because it’s a shorter fit for my headlines, but I’ve no doubt we’re talking about exactly the same core concept: a new generation of services-based, composite applications that are tailored to fit the work processes that people actually need in their daily routines.Web 3.0: The API-driven application

But the article that I liked the most is the following :-)
My assignment in Monaco was to lead a panel in defining Web 3.0--this when people are struggling to get their heads around Web 2.0. I wouldn't say we emerged from the session with a clear picture of this third generation. But here are some of the ideasWeb 3.0

More Web 3.0 links

This post is dedicated to my friend Houssein :-)))))

(Update)PS: I just found out that I'm working on the web 3.0 without konowing it

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

farrrrrrrrrrrrahtni yasser :-s

Anonymous said...

hehe :) yeah...

In a previous life, I did a lot of research on Semantic Web, Semantic Web Services, and Ontologies. While I still think this semantic approach is very promising, I have many doubts about it being applied in real world Web application.

While there are some successeful applications of the semantic Web and Web services and OWL ontologies being developed as entreprise solutions, I think the wide adoption of these technologies in the WWW is far from staight forward.

samsoum said...

Houssein, a lot of aspects of web services semantic would make great sense in an entreprise adopting a SOA approach for its applications. As systems get complex, the use of an enterprise service bus and BPs engines will result into huge tons of data transiting on this bus in different format in need of transofrmation , aggregation and interpretation, so it makes sense to adopt ontologies for organizing and sharing this data. We'll see how it will go :-)